Friday 13 January 2012

JMB Spring Term Day 9

Date: April 26, 2009
Location: JMB, Masardis, Maine, USA

Summary:
I managed to get more felling practice in the morning before much of the day had begun. The rest of the morning was spent looking at potential camp sites down by the river. We worked on land navigation to get us there and back again. After lunch we built the shelters we will be spending the night in. These shelters went up much faster than the quadpods. The day ended with a "plant of the day" and dinner.

Accomplishments and Observations:
1) Felled 2 trees
2) Started a large 1-match fire
3) Worked on navigation by sun position
4) Found hare, grouse, and black bear scat
5) Built a shelter (looks kind of like a bivy sack made from a bough bed, alder saplings, and a tarp)
6) PotD entry for Coptis trifolia (goldthread)

Initial Reflections:
My felling is getting much better. I corrected an angle problem I was having and it made a big difference. Our trip to the new camp site made it apparent why rivers were the highways of the bush as the bush is "dense". I think the shelter sleeping will go well tonight. The temperature is supposed to drop to around -7C but I will have a sleeping bag so it should be ok.


Current Reflections:
The real accomplishment today was the 1-match fire, I think it was my first.  I think the "secret" that this jump (10-match fires to 1-match) represents is really an issue of patience. I kept trying to "force" the fire to start before I had everything in its right place. When I chilled out and took the time to get all my fuel stages properly aligned things got much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment