Tuesday 24 January 2012

JMB Spring Term Day 14 and 15

Summary:
Day 14 was spent in transit.

Date: May 04, 2009
Location: JMB, Masardis, Maine, USA
Day 12:
First thing today was making rope from an orange plastic cord using a crank. Afterword we reviewed some knots for use with canoes. Most of the day was spent on Squapan Lake in canoes. We worked on basic paddling and poling.

Accomplishments and Observations:
1) Made a rope
2) Reviewed non-inverting slippery bowline, slippery bowline, and slippery sheet bend
3) Learned J and knifing J
4) Learned basic poling
5) Harassed porcupine

Initial Reflections:
I did very poorly in the canoe today. It was a bit better near the end but I was generally awful.

Current Reflections:
Kinesthetic tasks usually take a me a while to figure out and canoes are no exception. If memory serves the next series of "Initial Reflections" involve lots of woe and self pity. Its ok, things got better later. Building a rapport with boats can take a while. I didn't find anything intuitive about making the boat heed my requests so I had to spin around in circles until things started making sense.
Porcupines are cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment