Tuesday 31 January 2012

JMB Spring Term Day 18

Date: May 07, 2009
Location: JMB, Masardis, Maine


The first part of the day was spent on the river. We paddled down the Aroostook and polled up part of Squapan stream. The stream ended up being too low, even for poling, so we turned around. We poled back up to our launch site and returned to camp. At camp we made a pile of "doughnuts" (deep fried bannock) followed by a presentation on map and compass navigation. For dinner we cooked pork and potatoes in the dutch oven.

Accomplishments and Observations:
1) Poled up stream successfully (Squapan)
2) Made doughnuts
3) Learned orientation principles
4) Cooked pork in a dutch oven


5) Saw moose, red fox, and varying hare

Initial Reflections:
I made it up the slow shallow Squapan successfully but I had a really hard time on the Aroostook. I read through a poling aritcle and I think I can make some positive changes to my technique tomorrow.

Current Reflections:
The "really hard time" I had on the Aroostook was frustrating. I wasn't getting something in poling and I couldn't convince the canoe to go upriver.  My emotion control was slipping away from me and I think I was dehydrated. It wasn't a scene or anything but I was quite annoyed. Getting upset just makes everything more difficult in an awful positive feedback cycle. I feel like I learned quite a bit about myself by going through that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment