Monday 30 January 2012

JMB Spring Term Day 17

Date: May 06, 2009
Location: JMB, Masardis, Maine



The rain kept us at camp today. In the morning we reestablished a kitchen area that was used last year. We put in a new crossbeam and covered it with a tarp. We had a lesson on setting up tripods and how to use cooking rigs. After lunch we carved pot hooks for cooking over the fire. I built a jig for sharpening my still unfinished crooked knife. I started working on ma new longer bucksaw frame but it won't be finished until tomorrow.

Accomplishments and Observations:
1) restored part of the camp
2)carved pot hook
3)made sharpening jig
4)starting bucksaw frame #2

Initial Reflections:
I need to be careful about accumulating too many unfinished projects! I will try to get either my bucksaw frame or crooked knife done tomorrow.

Current Reflections:
Not accumulating unfinished projects is a good idea for my life in general! I have a tendency to get "excited".

I found working on camp infrastructure to be quite interesting. I think setting up a good long term camp is one of those experiential bushcraft skills that is hard to train without actually spending the time in the bush (vs. flint knapping, knots, etc). Having a quality tarp covered cooking area with a solid cooking apparatus makes a big difference in your quality of life. If you can cook on the fire (with said apparatus) the need for modern gear like stoves is greatly reduced. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment