Tuesday 17 January 2012

JMB Spring Term Day 11 and 12

Summary:
Day 11 was spent in transit.

Date: May 01, 2009
Location: Wolfboro Falls, Newhampsire, USA

Day 12:
We began with a lesson in sourdough baking, pancakes in specific. The lesson was expanded to include baking sourdough biscuits and bannock. The rest of the day was spent converting mill bastard files into crooked knives.

Accomplishments and Observations:

1) Learned the basics of sourdough baking
2) Baked sourdough biscuits
3) Baked bannock
4) Annealed file
5) (mostly) finished shaping crooked knife
6) Humanure bucket emptying demo

Initial Reflections:
Sourdough baking is better than I expected it to be. Using sourdough seems both practical and delicious. Shaping this file is taking a very long time, I must remember to look into other low-tech solutions.

Current Reflections:
Sourdough biscuits really are delicious. I find myself craving them on a fairly regular basis.
This day was my first introduction to blacksmithing of any sort. I would definitely like to do more in the future. There is only one place teaching any blacksmithing locally (that I have found). I should probably get my act together and take a class!

http://www.burnabyvillagemuseum.ca/EN/main/programs/by-series/public-programs/at-the-forge.html

No comments:

Post a Comment