Tuesday 13 March 2012

JMB Spring Term Day 28

Date: May 18, 2009
Location: JMB, Masardis, Maine

The order of the day was bow making. We started with really quick "tie two saplings together" style bows to get familiar with the principles. This was also good practice for my jam knots. I made my bow from alder. After those super high speed bows we started "4-hour" bows made from cutting down a sapling and shaving down one end. This also gave me an introduction to the tillering. My maple "4-hour" is not quite finished and requires a bit more tillering.

Accomplishments and Observations:
1) Made an alder "4-min" (2 sapling) bow
2) Practiced jam knot
3) Started maple 4-hour bow
4)Learned bowyers knot (timber hitch)
5) Made bannock on wood stove

Initial Reflections:
Bow making is very interesting. I am excited to start a "real" bow tomorrow. My jam knots actually work properly now. I wasn't hitching them properly before and they were loosening.

Current Reflections:
I recently took an archery workshop so it is helpful to review this experience. I am trying to weasel my way into an ongoing archery program being run through a local martial arts school. If I am ever going to become a skilled hunter I am first going to have to get decent level proficiency in some projectile. I understand that rifle is the more reliable tool but its logistically problematic to get regular practice or training. So the bow and I may end up as long term companions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment