Wednesday 7 March 2012

JMB Spring Term Day 27

Date: May 16, 2009
Location: JMB, Masardis, Maine

We stayed late at Holten Brook as it was an exceptional camp site. We were visited by a few inquisitive whiskey jacks (Perisoreus canadensis) looking for our left overs. We got back on the river a bit after 11am. The first section of the days trip had an intermittent head wind and a few rocky patches but it was a generally calm paddle. We stopped off at the Masardis trading post for lunch and paddled the short distance back to camp. The winds had blown the roof off my shelter, we will see tonight if my repairs are adequate.

Accomplishments and Observations:
1) Paddled from Holten Brook to JMB camp
2) Repaired shelter
3) Finished 1st multi-day canoe trip

Initial Reflections:
I am pretty wiped by the whole experience. It was a lot to take in for the first trip but I think the "trial by fire" was effective. I feel confident now, going on multiday trips without a guide.

Current Reflections:
My current reflections are closely in line with my thoughts at the time. The trip was very challenging but often because of errors I was making in my approach. The summary is that I got to learn from the experience and from my own stupid mistakes. I came out of the trip with a much better grasp on physical canoe skills, the logistics of multi-day trips, and how to manage things like my personal hydration. It was an incredibly valuable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment