Thursday 1 March 2012

JMB Spring Term Day 25

Date: May 14, 2009
Location: JMB, Masardis, Maine

We headed down stream in the morning. The section we poled until lunch had a lot of white water. Lunch was sausage and crackers on a river bank. The weather got much worse after lunch. The wind was blowing very hard up stream with gusts of about 40mph. We had to line a number of section of the river. We experienced a few close calls including two trees falling within 10 feet of canoes. We eventually arrived at our campsite and decided to stay despite bad (swampy) condition. The weather was obviously worsening. Now I am in my tent and it is pouring.

Accomplishments and Observations:
1) Poled down stream for 7 hours
2) Lined canoe
3) Navigated class 2 white water

Initial Reflections:
Today was brutally hard work. I let myself get dehydrated and the falling trees were frightening. I actually fell in the water as we were getting out at the camp site. Not great.

Current Reflections:
I was "not pleased" when I originally wrote this entry. Looking back now, I actually consider it one of my more valuable experiences. The day would have been hard no matter what but it was very hard because I was being a dumbass. I didn't bring enough water, drank to much coffee, and didn't think seriously about my electrolyte situation while having poor to average cardio. The primary lesson is one of managing hydration but it also helped me see the importance of building aerobic capacity.
I have, legitimately, become much better with hydration since then but my cardio could still use some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment