Tuesday 7 February 2012

JMB Spring Term Day 20

Date: May 09, 2009
Location: JMB, Masardis, Maine

Today was the end of the week 3, the "River Guide" course. We spent the morning doing rope work. We set up another tripod, built a winch, and practiced knots. After lunch I went onto the Aroostook to practice poling the rip.

Accomplishments and Observations:
1) Practiced clove hitch and larks head
2) Built "flipflop" winch
3) Set small tripod
4) Practiced downstream pole ferry and rip poling

Initial Reflections:
I am still having trouble pole ferrying in deep water. My shallow poling continues to improve.

Current Reflections:
I was actually amazed by the flipflop winch. I hadn't realized there was a mechanism for employing such strong forces so winches were a pleasant surprise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment